Maryland Heights is a city in St. Louis County with a population, at the time of the 2010 census, of 27,472 residents. Spanning 23.45 total square miles, the average daytime population is estimated to be at roughly 100,000, due to the nearly 2,000 businesses located in Maryland Heights
Maryland Heights got its name from the area’s first settlers, who hailed from the state of Maryland. The region’s rolling hills in the northeastern section reminded them of their home state and the name was formalized in 1915. However, Maryland Heights would be known under two different names during the area’s earliest beginnings in the late 1800s and early 1900s. The region’s very first name was Mokeville, which was a tribute to the area’s prominent blacksmith George Moke. In 1900, the area would be renamed Castello in honor of mayor Charles Castello, who served during the 1860s in an area that encompasses current-day Florissant.
Most of the area was considered semi-rural until the community saw a huge population surge shortly after World War II. It was transforming into a ripened community, as former areas of small residential communities became bounded around newly established subdivisions and urban developments. With 1950s and 1960s roadway construction improving access to and from the area, the eventual construction of Interstates 70 and 270 helped the region grow, with population increasing from 5,000 residents to over 8,000 from 1960 to 1970.
The area would eventually be incorporated as a city one decade later in 1985, under the final name Maryland Heights.
Residents of Maryland Heights are served by the Parkway and Pattonville School Districts.